Thursday, March 30, 2006

Shaniqua

I just had to run to Staples here in Bethesda at Wisconsin Avenue and Bradley Boulevard to buy some tabs for work.  Once I got to the counter, with purchase in the basket, I politely sit the basket on the counter for the clerk to ring up the contents.  The clerk looks at me and says since I'm the customer I'm "supposed" to hand everything to her.  Maybe!  If I wanted to, and offered!  But I've worked my ass off along with my colleagues this week, so I was too tired to hand everything to her item by item.   

I asked her to show me the rule in writing that customers were to hand everything to the cashier.  She said customers are supposed to do that.  For a moment I engaged in a deep pensive pondering about who was "supposed" to do what in this situation.  It was crystal clear to me I had, at minimum, done my part.  

So I asked the cashier to clarify for me whether or not that I'm incorrect in the presumption that she was the one being paid to ring up my sale.  She replied it's "courtesy".  I told her I agreed with her the situation could have been courtesy based had I OFFERED to do that, BUT, when she "REQUIRED" me to hand everything to her one-by-one, the act changed from my being courteous to her being LAZY.  I quickly let her know that,  eye-to-eye.   At that very moment, her manager happend to stop by the register.  I expressed to him my being apalled by her requirement.  I prefaced my dissatisfaction by saying to the manager "I'm not bitching, moaning, groaing, whining, complaining, nor the likes thereof.  I'm simply appalled at this young woman"  All the while I was saying this to the manager, she was doing her rubber neck Shaniqua act while the manager apologized.

I really dislike LAZY people.  They are UGLY!

No comments: