Thursday, April 6, 2006

An Angelic Birthday!

Word of the day:  slugabed\SLUG-uh-bed\ noun: a person who stays in bed after the usual or proper time to get up; broadly : sluggard.

"If all I'm remembered for is being a good basketball player, then I've done a bad job with the rest of my life."  Isiah Thomas, Professional basketball player

Today is my boss' birthday.  She's about the same age as me.  We were born in the same month.  We share the same Alma Mater - The American University. We share more!   Few know about this very rare and unusual ability I have to identify angels among us.  It is true, they have many different faces and show up in the strangest places.  Sometimes, non-human.  She is one (an angel).  She knows it and I'm sure she knows, I know it. I never realized I had the ability to do that.  Not, until my mother taught me how in the years after she's travelled to the far side of the sky.  Ok... back to my boss,  All our work group today has coordinated a lunch at Levantes Lebanese Taverna; her favorite restaurant, for which at the last minute last night she had to cancel because of business requirements.  We also had a beautiful light turquoise Pashmina shipped to us from Paris, France to give to her along with a gift certificate from the Elizabeth Arden salon.  In addition, we all signed a card, having a very nice birthday cake for her, and giving her some springtime cut flowers.  On those we've not yet decided which flowers, but the choices are tulips, jonquils, or hyacinths.

My boss is a very cool woman.  She earns nearly $1,000,000.00/yr and she will roll up her sleeves and get down in the floor and work on dirty jobs alongside her staff.  We all admire her. She's a great leader, motivator, and has a strong value system.  We all are blessed to have this angel as our professional guide, and more.

 

No comments: