Sunday, February 5, 2006

The Happy Goodman's

Word of the day:  deference\DEF-uh-runss\ noun: respect and esteem due a superior or an elder; also : affected or ingratiating regard for another's wishes.

 The image “http://www.sgmusicforum.com/vestalgoodmanphoto.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
Vestal Goodman sans Bee Hive!

Today's entry is called "The Happy Goodmans" in reference to a famous gospel group from Morristown, TN whom I grew up listening to and watching on the Sunday morning Huff-Cook Gospel Hour, when I was a kid.  This morning, I went out to the car to run an errand and the radio station was set to a country music station in Bristol and, as Bristolian Sunday morning programming typically is, it was playing gospel music.  The announcer was introducing a group who was influenced by "The Happy Goodmans".  I didn't realize that Vestel Goodman, the lead singer had recently died.  I remember her and her big hair.  She was something akin to the Gospel version of Kate from the B-52s.  Once I recall watching some Hollywood game show with Chuck Woolery and him mentioning a "Happy Goodman Hairdo".  I must admit, The Happy Goodmans was a great gospel group and Vestel, yes she sure had the "Bee Hive" doo going on.

Vestal certainly has earned the title "Queen of Gospel", but I must say this; there is NO caucasian who can belt out gospel music like an African American.  The true gospel queen is reserved for someone of that ethnicity.  

No comments: